Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Who posts reviews anyway?

While waiting to be seated at a new restaurant yesterday I was overcome with boredom. You see, I was promised a 20 minute wait for a table but as we approached 45 minutes without a spark of acknowledgement from the hostess, it seemed time to check them out. I pulled out my iPhone and checked into Yelp. I can’t say my research was terribly enlightening. It was a new place with both excellent and fair reviews. I’ve learned to take the poor ratings with a grain or two of salt, unless that’s all there is.


After 45 minutes we were finally acknowledged and after 50 were offered a less than desirable spot. But, since we were next and had been waiting, it was offered as a favor. We took our seats and waited again. It was another 10 minutes before the first of the wait staff addressed us.

OK. Here was my opportunity to get back at them for their rudeness. I too, could post a review and warn potential patrons about this slight. I began preparing my missive in my head. Then, finally. A menu. A meal. And, low and behold, the prices were very reasonable and the food was quite good. Then the owner stopped by to say hello. He was such a nice fellow and had had his share of difficulties with his original restaurant that had been there previously and succumbed to a mysterious fire.

I’ve never posted a review. I’m now wondering what it will take for me to do it. I felt this place deserved a second chance and I was not going to be the one to devise their doom. Not me!

But, the moral of the story is that I had the power. I just chose not to use it – this time. It’s an interesting and scary thought to know that as businesses, we are all vulnerable. Of course, it’s a wonderful opportunity to know what our clients think of us and to make sure we are always operating in their best interests. But it seems it might only take a couple of irate and/or unreasonable posting to destroy us! Guess we’d better pay attention.

Who posts reviews anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment